National Professional Qualification in Leading Literacy (NPQLL)
We are excited to hear about the Ambition Institute National Professional Qualification in Leading Literacy (NPQLL). Poor literacy skills are a significant barrier for young people in progressing in all aspects of their education.
This new, fully funded NPQ will help you learn the essential knowledge and skills to successfully lead high quality, literacy development and teaching in your school.
For more information click here
Looking for a new challenge for September 2022 whilst still being based in your own school?
*Back by popular demand*
ASK A LITERACY SPECIALIST
updated 20th May 2022
- early language development
- phonics and early reading
- promoting a love of reading
- Thursday 23rd June 2022 3:30-5:30pm
To book a slot please fill out the google form below giving as much information as possible. We will do our best to accommodate your preferred date and time but please note, slots are allocated on a first come first served basis, so book early to avoid disappointment. Once you have completed the form you will receive an email confirming your slot.
updated 18th October 2021
MOVING FORWARD WITH PHONICS
Updated 16th July 2021
Burley Woodhead English Hub is hosting a free webinar to help your school move forward with phonics and early reading.
During the event we will briefly discuss all the newly validated SSP programmes:
- Bug Club Phonics
- Essential Letters and Sounds
- Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised
- No Nonsense Phonics
- Phonics International
- Read Write Inc.
- Rocket Phonics (Rising Stars)
- Success for All
Please note, guidance from the DfE has been very clear that "there will be no expectation that schools using Letters and Sounds well, and achieving excellent results, will need to change to a new programme". As you can see from the newly validated list, at least two of the new programmes follow the structure and content of Letters and Sounds, with updated materials such as flashcards etc.
The webinars will be held on:
- Tuesday 14th September 4 – 5pm. To book your free place go to: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/moving-forward-with-phonics-tickets-163501686947
- Wednesday 22nd September 4 – 5pm. To book your free place go to: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/moving-forward-with-phonics-tickets-163628965641
HELPING YOU TO ASSESS YOUR SCHOOL'S SSP PROVISION
Updated 29th April 2021
Due to very high level of demand, we will be repeating our free session " helping you to assess your school's SSP provision" on 12th May at 4pm.
In this session we will clarify the DfE message about teaching phonics and talk schools through a self-audit document you can use to assess your own practice in school. This will hopefully help you to identify if you feel you are using the right SSP for your school or if you would like to explore transitioning to one of newly validated DfE SSPs when the list is published in June/July. To book your free place go to: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/
BURLEY WOODHEAD ENGLISH HUB STATEMENT ON PHONICS PROGRAMMES FOR ALL SCHOOLS
Updated 16th April 2021
Following the DfE announcement about phonics on 1st April, we would like to clarify the situation with all phonics programmes and Letters and Sounds in particular.
The main messages from the DfE are:
- It is up to schools how they teach phonics as long as schools are using a systematic, synthetic approach,
- Schools should be following one phonics programme with fidelity,
- The DfE are currently going through a process where all SSPs can be validated or re-validated if they are already on the DfE’s approved list (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/choosing-a-phonics-teaching-programme/list-of-phonics-teaching-programmes). It is possible that some of these programmes might not be revalidated and some new programmes will be validated. The DfE believe that the recent announcements mean there will be more high-quality choice for schools looking at which SSP to use.
Letters and Sounds was originally published as a framework by the DfE in 2007 and many schools have developed Letters and Sounds into a programme that they teach in their school.
- There will be no expectation that schools using Letters and Sounds well, and achieving excellent results, will need to change to a new programme,
- Current Letters and Sounds training, delivered by DfE validated English Hubs, will continue until July 2023, so there will be continuity for schools who are already using the current programme,
- There is no suggestion that Letters and Sounds will disappear – if anything it is expected there will be a choice of validated SSPs based on Letters and Sounds.
The main message from us is:
- There is no need to rush any decision – schools will be provided with support and guidance about the range of options as new programmes are accredited. As with any school improvement cycle, it would be hoped that schools would review their provision on a regular basis, and at least every 5 years or so, to ensure it is the best it can be,
- The DfE have worked closely with OFSTED to ensure their inspectors are clear about these messages.
As you may have seen on social media, there are many different opinions from a wide variety of different people about the continuation of Letters and Sounds and the teaching of phonics. Social media posts can be misinterpreted and cause anxiety as they are often posted by those who do not have the full picture or the correct message.
We hope this has provided you with the reassurance you may need that the great practice already happening in your school can continue. We will be holding a twilight session for any school interested on Tuesday 4th May at 4pm to clarify the DfE message about teaching phonics and talk schools through a self-audit document you can use to assess your own practice in school. This will hopefully help you to identify if you feel you are using the right SSP for your school or if you would like to explore transitioning to one of newly validated DfE SSPs when the list is published in June/July. To book your free place go to: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/helping-you-to-assess-your-schools-current-ssp-provision-tickets-151053189155
If you would like to speak to us, please get in contact: firstname.lastname@example.org